BCP: Preparing Your Department for Emergencies
How did your department fare during this historical winter storm? For many of us, “business as usual” took a small break. However, several departments on campus had to continue with research, public safety, building maintenance and, in some cases, instruction. With possible future winter weather and spring storm season around the corner, make plans now to prepare yourselves and your department. Consider if your department is prepared for:
- A significant disruption in utilities and power outages that may last longer than normal?
- Managing an interruption in delivery of supplies and materials due to transportation delays from vendors?
- Building damage caused by fire or flooding?
- An increase in employee absences?
- Are you able to contact all of your staff after hours in the event of a departmental emergency?
UGA’s Office of Emergency Preparedness has a way to assist your department with planning for these types of business interruptions. A Business Continuity Planning (BCP) online planning tool is available to UGA departments. This online plan allows your department to document how you will provide services or conduct departmental business during or after an emergency. Contact Noelle Broadnax for more information.
UGAAlert allows you to receive emergency messages on multiple devices. To register, you must have a valid UGA MyID.
•Have you programmed the UGAAlert number, 706-542-0111, into your cell phone?
In case of an ACTIVE SHOOTER on campus, hide/barricade is only one option. Watch the Plan, Prepare, React: Active Shooter Response Options for Institutes of Higher Education video for more options.