UGA Emergency Preparedness
Hodgson Oil Building, Suite 200 South
286 Oconee Street
Athens, Georgia 30602-1977
Phone (706)542-5845 | FAX (706)542-4664
OEP Annual Reports:
- OEP FY 2017 Annual Report
- OEP FY 2016 Annual Report
- OEP FY 2015 Annual Report
- OEP FY 2014 Annual Report
- OEP FY 2013 Annual Report
- OSEP FY 2012 Annual Report
- OSEP FY 2011 Annual Report
- OSEP FY 2010 Annual Report
- OSEP FY 2009 Annual Report
- Steve Harris, Director
- John Newton, PhD, Emergency Operations Manager
- Pete Golden, Emergency Operations Coordinator
- Noelle Broadnax, Emergency Operations Coordinator
- Savannah Hembree, Business Manager
About the Office of Emergency Preparedness
Established in 2002 following the tragic events of September 11, 2001, the University of Georgia Office of Emergency Preparedness (formerly the Office of Security & Emergency Preparedness) provides a comprehensive security and emergency management program for the University of Georgia in order to save lives, protect property, promote continuity of operations, and reduce the overall effects of large-scale disasters.
The University of Georgia community will be prepared to respond effectively to large-scale emergencies in order to eliminate or mitigate the loss of life and property.
Our mission is to provide a comprehensive security and emergency management program for the University of Georgia in order to save lives, protect property, promote continuity of operations, and reduce the overall effects of large-scale disasters.
The University of Georgia Office of Emergency Preparedness
- Recognizes that large-scale disasters are catastrophic and elimination of all risk and potential devastation is not an attainable goal; however, while preparing for worst case scenarios, keeps the protection of life as the primary objective.
- Acknowledges the University of Georgia’s public outreach and community service role and understands the University’ vast resources may be activated during large-scale emergencies affecting other communities throughout the state and nation. Develops plans to enhance performance and minimize disruption of services during these unusual activations of UGA facilities, staff, and resources.
- Realizes emergencies do not occur in a vacuum and acknowledge an obligation to, and reliance on, emergency responders as well as citizens from other University departments and the local, state, and national community. Willingly shares expertise and fosters good relationships with all entities.
- Understands the University of Georgia student population may require extra guidance in preparing for and responding to emergencies because of their limited life experiences and takes this responsibility seriously. Engages students in finding creative ways to reach other students.
- Strives to find the most cost-effective methods of accomplishing objectives by being open to new technologies and initiating research and development of solutions appropriate for the University’s needs.
Programs and Services
- Develops, tests, reviews, revises, and distributes the University’s Emergency Operations plan, pandemic influenza response plan, pre-disaster hazard mitigation plan, and other emergency plans as warranted
- Oversees the management of the UGAAlert system, the University’s emergency mass notification system, UGAAlert Desktop and other campus emergency notification methods
- Manages the Building Safety and Security Representatives (BSSR) Program and provides emergency planning guidance, training, and record keeping
- Activates and manages the University’s Emergency Operations Center in the event of a large-scale emergency
- Monitors campus-wide compliance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) regulations and ensures required training is provided, and records maintained, for all campus responders
- Manages the University’s Automated External Defibrillator (AED) program
- Coordinates the campus Community Emergency Response Team (UGA CERT) program at UGA
- Coordinates the campus Medical Reserve Corps (UGA MRC) program at UGA
- Develops, conducts, and coordinates drills and exercises including community-wide exercises, campus exercises, building drills, and departmental exercises (tabletop, functional and full-scale)
- Coordinates the setup and activation of emergency shelters (human and animal) and Public Health emergency sites utilizing UGA facilities
- Assesses threats and implements safeguards based on current trends and events
- Conducts risk assessments and develops departmental and site specific emergency plans for Athens locations and other UGA campuses and research sites
- Designs, develops, and delivers training, newsletters, and other informational brochures for students, faculty, and staff on recognizing, preparing for, and responding appropriately to natural and man-made disasters and emergencies
- Maintains a comprehensive Web site for communicating timely information to the University community
- Investigates, develops, and implements UGA policies and procedures related to homeland security and emergency preparedness issues
- Coordinates campus events to highlight emergency preparedness and security awareness
- Serves on campus, University System, local, state, and national homeland security and emergency preparedness committees
- Coordinates on-campus community service volunteer classes to encourage participation by faculty, staff, and students
- Encourages a service-learning attitude among University students