OEP hosts a series of Building Safety and Security Representatives Brown Bag Lunch classes.
Brown Bag – April 8, 2015 – Dr. Dan Silk with UGA Police
Many campus departments are looking for a concise and easy method to inform new and existing faculty and staff on campus about emergency notification methods, building emergency procedures and on the availability of various emergency preparedness resources. OEP’s new module will provide a solution for your training needs.
Steve Harris, Director of the Office of Emergency Preparedness. Mr. Harris spoke about the new online training module.
Dr. Dan Silk, Captain with UGA Police Department. Dr. Silk explained the Police Department’s role when responding to emergencies on campus.
Brown Bag – Nov. 18, 2014 – UGA Disability Resource Center and EOO
Dr. John Newton – Emergency Operations Manager, gave a presentation about how to account for people with disabilities in your plan.
Representatives from the Disability Resource Center and the Equal Opportunity Office were present to answer any questions.
Brown Bag – Oct. 17, 2013 – Dr. John Lambeth with UGA ESD
Steve Harris spoke on the new UGA guidelines for assisting individuals with disabilities during an emergency.
Dr. John Lambeth, Manager, Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Safety – ESD, works with the university community to promote a safe working environment for all employees through the recognition, evaluation, and control of workplace health and safety hazards, using knowledge and experience in industrial hygiene, occupational health and safety engineering.
Brown Bag – Oct. 11, 2012 – Bill Wellmeier w/ UGA Fire Safety
- Bill Wellmeier from UGA Fire Safety gave a presentation about how to make sure your building is prepared for a fire emergency. Bill retired from the DeKalb County Fire Department before coming to UGA and has a great deal of experience both in responding to fires and in examining buildings on campus to make sure they are safe. This was a great opportunity to learn about fire safety from an expert in both fire response and fire safety.
Brown Bag – July 11, 2012 – UGA Office of Admissions
- The UGA Office of Admissions presented the system they created to notify people in their department about an unruly customer. This is a notification system that runs on a desktop PC and notifies other people in the department though a simple click of a few buttons. The system has different levels of notification and is very well designed. They shared their experience, thoughts, and even the code used to develop the program.
Brown Bag – April 5, 2012 – BSSR test of their BEAP
- The idea of this brown bag was to allow BSSRs to test their emergency plan in a low stress environment. Five tables were set up with first responders; participants went to a table, read a scenario, and then answered questions from the first responder about how the building would respond to the emergency. OSEP had first responders from the UGA Police Department, UGA Fire Safety, UGA Environmental Safety, and National EMS.
Brown Bag – Oct. 19, 2011 – MyBEAP
- OSEP hosted a special BSSR Brown Bag Lunch to introduce the MyBEAP, a web-based, online plan generator available to UGA Building Safety and Security Representatives that is used to create a Building Emergency Action Plan (BEAP). The program included a demonstration of the MyBEAP as well as a question and answer session.
Brown Bag – Aug. 11, 2011 – Homeland Security
- Greg Armes, U.S. Attorney, is a homeland security expert assigned to assist the middle district of Georgia.In addition to emerging threats, Greg is going to talk about what actions should be considered suspicious and how the government responds to these types of reports.
Brown Bag – April 12, 2011 – Emergency Medical Services
- Don Pruitt, Assistant Director of Training, and Don Cargile, Community Relations/Marketing Director, for National EMS, Inc. discussed Emergency Medical Services, what to do when a medical emergency arises and what resource are available to assist you.
Brown Bag – Dec. 16, 2010 – Computer Security
- Melanie Childers, Security Awareness & Training – UGA Office of Information Security, discussed common problems seen on campus, risks of poor computer security, and simple steps to keep your computer safe.
Brown Bag – Sept. 22, 2010 – Fire Safety
- Russell Dukes, Fire Safety Manager – Environmental Safety Division, spoke on planning for fires, how to conduct a fire drill, how to best prepare your building and staff, and what resources are available at UGA.
Brown Bag – May 26, 2010 – Business Continuity Plan
- Dr. David Knauft, Associate Dean – UGA Graduate School, discussed the lessons learned from the Georgia Theater Fire on June 19, 2009. Power to the entire downtown area was cut leaving the Graduate School without power and unable to operate under normal conditions. Since that time, the Graduate School has implemented changes to better respond to an emergency situation.
Brown Bag – Feb. 24, 2010 – Weather Information Resources
- Lans Rothfusz, Meteorologist In-Charge – National Weather Service and Dr. David Stooksbury, State Climatologist – The National Weather Service made some recent changes in how they send out severe weather alerts and they made some changes to some definitions for severe weather. The National Weather Service is also taking advantage of new technology in sharing information and that will continue to evolve.
Brown Bag – Nov. 18, 2009 – Suspicious Activity on Campus
- FBI Special Agent Andy Sherrill talked about how to spot suspicious activity and what to do if you think someone is acting suspiciously. While acts of terrorism may not be common, it is important to understand what tactics and behaviors to look for. It is also important to remember that protecting the United States means more than preventing acts of violent terrorism. It could involve theft of technology, financial fraud, economic crimes, intellectual property theft and other crimes.
Brown Bag – Sept. 24, 2009 – Planning, Conducting and Evaluating a Mass Casualty Drill
- Speaker: Lynn Tabor, Associate Director University Health Center – How the University Health Center conducts exercises and drills. An update was given on the H1N1 flu prevention efforts at UGA.
Brown Bag – May 27, 2009 – Emergency Planning for Persons with Disabilities
- Zoe Minor, Assistant Director, and David Anderson, Disability Specialist, with the UGA Disability Resource Center spoke about how to enhance disability awareness, BSSR tips, and practical strategies to consider while developing your emergency action plan.
Brown Bag – March 26, 2009 – Building Emergency Action Plan
- John Newton, Emergency Operations Manager with OSEP, discussed creating a Building Emergency Action Plan.
Brown Bag – Jan. 27, 2009 – Update on OSEP & Emergency Preparedness
- John Newton, Emergency Operations Manager, gave an overview of the Office of Security & Emergency Preparedness and the role of the Building Security and Safety Representative (BSSR).